Xi to Tramp: U.S. violates trade truce, vows “forceful measures”

China accuses U.S. of violating trade truce, vows “forceful measures”

China accused the U.S. violating the trade deal that the world’s two largest economies signed last month and vowed to take “resolute and forceful measures,” per a briefing on Monday morning local time.
Why it matters: It’s the latest sign of deteriorating relations between the two nations since their Switzerland meeting last month led to a deal to lower tariffs on each other for 90 days while they negotiated on trade.
- President Trump accused Beijing on Friday of violating the agreement, one day after Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent described negotiations as “a bit stalled.”
Driving the news: A Chinese Commerce Ministry spokesperson said Beijing “firmly rejects these unjustified accusations,” per translations of the comments that were carried by state media.
- The spokesperson alleged the U.S. had “seriously undermined” and “violated” the trade agreement by issuing “export control guidelines for AI chips, stopping the sale of chip design software (EDA) to China, and announcing the revocation” of visas for Chinese students.
- “If the U.S. insists on its own way and continues to damage China’s interests, China will continue to take resolute and forceful measures to safeguard its legitimate rights and interests,” the spokesperson added, without elaborating further.
The other side: “At the direction of President Trump, the Administration is aggressively moving to onshore critical supply chains, including the production of magnets, in the United States,” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said in response to Axios’ request for comment on Beijing’s remarks.
- “At the same time, the Administration is actively monitoring China’s compliance with the Geneva trade agreement and President Trump will speak directly with President Xi [Jingping] very soon.”
- While Trump didn’t go into details on his claims that Beijing had “totally violated” the trade deal, administration officials have pointed to delays in sending critical minerals to the U.S., which are needed for American auto, electronics and defense industries, that formed part of the agreement.
- “What China is doing is they are holding back products that are essential for the industrial supply chains of India, of Europe, and that is not what a reliable partner does,” Bessent said during a Sunday interview on CBS News‘ “Face the Nation.”

What we’re watching: Bessent said on CBS he’s “confident” that the two sides’ issues “will be ironed out” once Trump and Xi have spoken.
- “But the fact that they are withholding some of the products that they agreed to release during our agreement — maybe it’s a glitch in the Chinese system, maybe it’s intentional,” he told CBS’ Margaret Brennan. “We’ll see after the president speaks with [Xi].”
- Previous “Afghan Taliban shivers”: Germany Rules Out Diplomatic Relations with Islamic Emirate. But for how many months!?
- Next US Future of Freedom Foundation: Was the U.S. Government Involved in Ukraine’s Drone Attack on Russia?
You may also like...
Recent Posts
- PM Modi of India in China: Tianjin hosts 26 head of states and governments for SCO Summit 2025 as global crises escalate
- Pakistani hockey team skip Asian tournament-2025 in India: what a surprise?! Scared to loose? :(
- Chinese 118 bn.$ Annual De Minimus US Export = Equal 42 bn$ Extra Revenue for American Budget at 35%
- Net Daily Chinese loss 100 mln$: – De minimis exemption closed for China and Hong Kong, duty free packages to US down of 4 mln. a day to 1 mln.
- Separatist sentiment in Alberta, Saskatchewan at ‘historic’ highs
- Canada won’t recognize islamist regime in Syria unless Kurdish ‘de facto’ authority acknowledged: In tit-for-tat, Damascus will recognize regerendum in Alberta and Saskatchewan
- North Korea to the South Korea: president Lee is a ‘confrontation maniac’
- Vietnam is #2, after China, in Building Artificial Islands in Disputed Spratlys with Military Infrastructure in
- Tajikistan’s Rogun Dam Delayed Again: This Time World Bank Freezes Funding
- King Abdulla II of Jordan pays first ever state visit to Uzbekistan
Random news
Views
- North Korea’s New Intermediate-Range Ballistic Missile, the Hwasong-12: First Takeaways - 983 views
- Chinese military base in Djibouti necessary to protect key trade routes linking Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Europe - 967 views
- OIC, 57-nation Islamic body calls US travel ban a ‘grave concern’ - 698 views
- Goods from China start to be shipped by train to Europe: Luxembourg-Chengdu freight train route launched - 664 views
- What is wrong with JATECO Company’s business with Central Asian states!? Why Japanese standards of corporate governance and integrity in doing business are earning bad name with JATECO? - 623 views
- Kyrgyzstan actively working on start of construction of China—Kyrgyzstan—Uzbekistan railroad - 562 views
- Iran tested medium-range ballistic missile - 547 views
- Why Indians want to have white skin?! Pakistani authors thoughts. Article: The complexion of a new culture - 545 views
- China: Philippines can’t claim Benham Rise - 526 views
- Gabbard allies rush to her defense after Assad meeting - 511 views
About us
Our Newly established Center for study of Asian Affairs has
branches in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, as well as freelances in some other countries.
For inquires, please contact: newsofasia.info@yahoo.com Mr.Mohd Zarif - Secretary of the Center and administer of the web-site www.newsofasia.net
Polls
